Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Training for 5K

For those of you who know me well, I have never been someone who liked to jog or run for two reasons; 1. I am not one of those women who glisten - I sweat a lot and I hate being drenched and smelly, and 2. I have a bum knee from a old football injury (don't ask) from Freshman year in college. But even if I didn't have a bad knee, I don't think I'd ever start running for any reason. One of my friends has decided that she wants to do a 10K this summer. Since she's never been a runner either, she decided she'd better start off doing a 5K first. Somehow she has talked me into doing it with her, against my better judgment. I have been taking glucosamene (sp?) for my knee to see if it would help but ready or not, she and I started our "training" his morning. We've been meeting to go walking at 5:30am at the school track for several weeks now (yes we are crazy since the temperature at that time of morning is still in the upper 20s), and we've even jogged a lap here or there, but today, we decided to run (really it's a slow paced jog) for 20 minutes and see how far we could get. We made it a mile and a half without passing out so that is a good sign! We were very impressed with ourselves. She has a day to day plan for this training that we are "suppose" to follow. We'll see how far I go or how far my knee with let me train. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Crysti said...

Sheree -

I am impressed! I hope to get motivated after this baby is born. I am interested in your training program. Keep us posted and good luck!

Crystal